Tuesday, 8 August 2017

5 of the Best Bike Rides on the Wirral and Surrounding Area


Hello again :) As I'm sure you've guessed by now, I'm a fan of bike rides. I should start by stating that by bike rides I don't mean Road Bike cycling and I wouldn't describe myself as a 'cyclist'; which implies a level of all-weather dedication that I don't have! 
If you are the kind of legend that likes to ride 100K in a day on a bike worth more than a car; daubed head to toe in lycra and sporting a Go-Pro - then power to you! But this post is not really for you, it would bore you...

It's for people like me who don't like traffic, but do like picnics and views and cushioned bike seats and stop offs for refreshment of the alcoholic variety - Pleasure Rides if you will. It's for people with bikes like the little beauty below. 







Below are my personal favourites when it comes to 'Pleasure Rides' on the Wirral and the surrounding areas... Enjoy!


1)New Brighton to Hoylake - approx 14m round trip 






I do this route from where I live all the time but of course if you live at the other end of the Wirral you can do it in reverse! 

The official cycle path starts behind Bubbles World of Play on the New Brighton front (5 mins down the hill from the train station) and ends by Leasowe beach at which point you just follow the promenade. The prom comes to an end near the The Parade Community Centre in Hoylake. From here you can see Hilbre Island and Little Eye and out across to the welsh hills. 




As it's on the west side of the peninsula it's a great route on which to see the sunset. The Derby Pool Harvester is en route at Harrison Drive for a cheeky pint 😉




2) Hooton to West Kirby - approx 25m round trip


An understandably popular area for walkers, cyclists and families; this route follows the Wirral circular trail along arguably the prettiest of Wirral's coast lines on the Dee estuary. There are plenty of opportunities to stop and enjoy the scenery with a drink/picnic - my favourite of which is Parkgate - famous for it's ice cream and eateries. 


 If you get the train to Hooton follow the signs for Willaston village around 10 minutes away, which is where you'll find the entrance to the Wirral Way. Hooton to Willaston is via Hooton Rd but the rest of this route is traffic-less. Though this is a 25m round trip I like to end the ride in the White Lion pub in West Kirby (12.5m) which has tons of character and a boss beer garden. You can then either jump on the train home from here or carry on to rejoin the coastal path at Hoylake.



3) New Brighton to Otterspool Prom - approx 17m round trip




This route has the best of both worlds when it comes to scenery; from the Wirral side you get to see the iconic Liverpool skyline and from across the river the greenery of the peninsular. Ferries across the Mersey run frequently but try to avoid the 'river cruise' ones and ask for a direct ticket or you'll get stung for a tenner - unless of course you a visitor to the area and want a river cruise.



The route itself is fairly self explanatory, just stick to the promenade on both sides of the river. Enjoyable rest stops include the Magazines pub in New Brighton and the Brittania Inn on Riverside Drive on the other side of the river but if you're sightseeing in the area this is a great route past some great landmarks such as the famous Liver Buildings and Albert Dock.


4)Chester to Connah's Quay  - approx. 16.6m round trip 





Away from the Mersey and over to the Dee for our next route, this South Wirral to North Wales ride goes via route 5 of the Sustran's National Cycle Network,. Once on the disused railway from Chester into Wales, this is a traffic free route and can be linked up with a ride along the River Dee on the way back.






After getting to Chester City Centre (train/drive) navigate to  
Northgate Avenue at the rear of Northgate Arena (around the corner from the Northgate Arms pub 😉)and join the disused railway at the rear. As this route is slightly less straight forward here are the full details: Full Route Directions  - It is worth it I promise! The route follows mostly farmland and peaceful waterways and ends near Harwarden Bridge for rail connections. If driving it may be better to do the route in reverse as there is a free car park at Connah's Quay but a pay-and-display at Chester Northgate!



5) Liverpool Loop Line - approx 26m round trip









To any Scousers mortally offended that I'm describing Liverpool as a surrounding area of the Wirral, I'm sorry! 

I didn't want to exclude this route and '4 of the Best Bike Rides on the Wirral and 1 in Liverpool' just didn't have the same ring to it. Anyhoo...

You can join this fantastic route at either end depending how north or south you live but I find it easier to get to the Aintree end and back from where I live in New Brighton. 


Photograph: gooleimages

From Aintree Train Station follow this route to Roosevelt Drive - a 4 min ride max and you'll find the start of the loop line. This route has mixed reviews as it covers so many different parts of Liverpool, including some where broken glass and rubbish is abundant on the trail, but I've never read anything about people experiencing trouble and I've only encountered friendly people. 
The actual trail is traffic free and surrounded by trees and general greenery  - it certainly does not feel like riding through a city!



So there it is - I hope you enjoy these scenic rides as much as I do! I'm always looking for new routes to so let me know your favourites, traffic free preferably!


Holly x








1 comment:

  1. Splendid nuanced notes ma'am! We really to join up at some point as we are all after the same type of civilised cycling!
    Have you tried any of this route?

    https://sites.google.com/site/liverpolitantweed/home/014-fourteenth-liverpolitan-tweed-run

    ReplyDelete